Vegan Butternut Squash Soup For Dogs and People
• 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
• 8 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (about 2 medium)
• 2 cups peeled and cubed carrot (about 2 medium)
• 8 cups vegetable broth (no onion or salt)
• 1/4 cup cilantro
• 1 can organic full-fat canned coconut milk
• 1 teaspoon minced ginger and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
Optional flavor enhancers after soup is cooked for the people and dogs: Coconut Aminos, Salt. Options for persons: Black pepper and more salt to taste.
Preheat the oven to 350°F
Toss the butternut squash and carrot and spread out on the prepared baking sheets sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Roast for about 1 hour, until the vegetables are cooked but not burnt. Once vegetables have roasted, allow them to cool slightly.
Transfer the vegetables to a blender with all liquid, cilantro and spices. Puree until well blended. Put mixture in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low, and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes Remove the soup from the heat and allow the soup to cool.
NEVER serve hot food to your dog. Let cool completely. For thicker soup, reduce water or vegetable broth. Soup will also thicken overnight in fridge.
Disclaimer: This is meant as a treat, and not a regular meal replacement